In the ranking of the highest statues of the world, the new leader has appeared. In October 2018, the Statue of Unity dedicated to Sardar Vallabhai Patel was opened in India. With his 182 meters of “growth”, he is ahead of the previous record holder – the 128-meter Buddha of the Spring Temple in the Chinese district of Lushan. In this photo selection – 15 leaders of the rating, as well as five more statues that do not occupy the first lines, but are quite outstanding.
1. Statue of Unity – a tribute to the memory of Vallabhai Patel, a politician who advocated the independence of India. Opened in October 2018 and is the largest in the world – 182 m, not counting the pedestal, which is four times higher than the statue of Liberty
2. Buddha of the Spring Temple – the second largest statue in the world, 128 m, China
3. Buddha Shakyamuni, 115.8 m. Myanmar
4. The Great Buddha Amitabha in the Japanese city of Usiku – the fourth tallest statue in the world, 100 m. At the same time, the first tallest among the bronze statues
5. Statue of the patroness and defender of the Japanese city of Sendai – the goddess of mercy Kannon (100 m). A cat with a raised paw, the famous Maneki-neko, is considered one of the incarnations of the goddess. Inside the monument are a staircase and an elevator.
6. The thousand hands Guanyin, the Chinese goddess of mercy. Monument height – 99 m
7. The Great Buddha in Ang Thong, 92 m, Thailand. The monument is made of reinforced concrete, followed by gold paint. Its construction took 18 years (1990–2008)
8. Another statue of the goddess Kannon – near the Japanese city of Ashibetsu. Its height is 88 m
9. Mamaev Kurgan with the statue “Motherland Calls” in Volgograd. This is the tallest statue in Russia, 85 m. At the time of construction, in 1967, it was the highest statue in the world.
10. Number 10: Statue of Goddess Kannon on Awaji Island, 80 m, Japan