If none of the studios changes their mind, then in the near future the audience is waiting for six movies about the same thing.
Minister of Culture of Thailand Vira Rojpojchanarat said that in recent weeks, the government has received six applications from film studios who wanted to screen the story of saving children from a flooded cave. According to him, next week the authorities will create a special committee that will consider and approve all the proposed projects.
According to Variety, the minister did not specify which studios are planning to make the film, but noted that five of them are foreign, one is from Thailand. Previously, the media reported that at least two projects are being prepared. Above the first company Pure Flix works, which, as a rule, specializes in pictures of Christian themes. The founder of the studio Michael Scott said that he plans to collect for the project from $30 to $60 million.
The film, based on the rescue operation, is intended to be shot by American director John M. Chu–he is best known for working on the tape “Now You See Me 2”. In his tweet, he wrote that he would not allow other Hollywood studios to ‘whiten’ this story and tell it, using white actors.
Teens from the Thai football team and their coach were blocked in a cave in northern Thailand at the end of June–due to the beginning of downpours. For more than a week rescuers were trying to find the location of the missing and only on July 8 began evacuation. They managed to save everyone: children, and their coaches. During the operation, one of the divers who participated in it died.